If you are planning a vacation or need to travel for some other reason then catteries are the most suitable option to keep your cat at while you are away. In the following sections let us look at common facilities that are available in these catteries, requirements they should meet and your responsibilities.
Facilities Available at Catteries
Image courtesy of Pinterest.com
Facilities provided by some of the leading catteries in Surrey like the Star Boarding Kennels include the following:
- Open aspect rooms which have individual thermostatic heating.
- Chauffeur service for bringing the cats to and from the cattery.
- Exciting scratch posts, play tunnels and different toys to let your cats have some fun.
- Separate space for each cat with good sized sleeping area along with running area.
- There are normally solid sneeze barriers of full height for preventing contact between cats.
Essential requirements that a cattery should meet
a. Many of the catteries in Surrey have outdoor as well as indoor areas to let the cats play around. You need to check if your local cattery also has such facility.
b. Cattery should be such that there is enough ventilation to prevent spread of any air borne diseases among the cats.
c. Ideally the cattery should have fully functional smoke alarm as well as heat censor.
d. Feeding bowls and litter trays should be clean and there should be overall cleanliness inside the cattery.
e. Some catteries in Surrey may charge extra for grooming cats with long hairs or for administering medication, so it is always better to ask beforehand.
Licensed catteries in Surrey would require you to have updated vaccination card signed by your vet that shows vaccination done for cat enteritis and flu. If such vaccination is not updated then your cat is prone to getting diseases from others and catteries will not accept your cat.
You also need to get the vaccination at least 5 weeks prior to leaving your cat at the cattery so that the vaccines have enough time to take effect. After you complete the initial vaccination, booster vaccination is required on annual basis and should be completed 1 week before boarding a cattery.
Your Responsibilities as Pet Owner
As an owner you have several responsibilities and catteries in Surrey will expect you to provide some details to them like:
- Feeding: You will have to make the cattery aware of any particular dietary needs yours cats have so that the cattery can follow the schedule as needed.
- Medication: Catteries in Surrey will expect you to inform them beforehand about any medical problems your cat has or some medication that will be necessary to give while the cat is at the cattery.
- FIV Positive: The FIV virus does not get transmitted through feeding or other equipment but it will be your responsibility to inform them in case your cat is FIV Positive so that authorities can keep an eye for any symptoms of ill-health and take necessary action.
- Other Issues: It will also be your responsibility to inform staff at the cattery in case cat suffers from disabilities like illness or blindness and in case it is pregnant.
A Final Note
Finally we can say that good catteries with their experienced and trained staff such as Star Boarding Kennels will ensure that your cat has a good time while you are away. You can also bring in your cat's favorite toys, bedding, and jumper or blanket so that the cat gets all the familiar smells that are present in the home.