More Cat Care Information:
Overfeeding and obesity in cats is becoming really a major issue which can directly affect their life. You will be surprised to know about the fact that 40% of cats are obese in United States. One pound weight gain in cats is as same as 20 to 25 pounds weight gain in case of human beings. Are you among the people who feed the cat in a wrong way? Then it is the time to revise their diet and exercise schedule.
|General Cat Care #1: Before You Bring Your Cat Home|
|You will need food, food dish, water bowl, interactive toys, brush, comb, safety cat collar, scratching post, litter and litter box.|
|General Cat Care #2: Feeding|
|An adult cat should be fed one large or two smaller meals each day. Kittens from 6 to 12 weeks need to be fed four times a day. Kittens from three to six months need to be fed three times a day. You can either feed specific meals, throwing away any leftover canned food after 30 minutes or free-feed dry food (keeping food out all the time).|
Feed your cat a high-quality, brand-name kitten or cat food (avoid generic brands) two to three times a day. Kittens can be fed human baby food for a short time if they won’t eat kitten food softened by soaking in warm water. Use turkey or chicken baby food made for children six months and older. Gradually mix with cat food. Cow’s milk is not necessary and can cause diarrhea in kittens and cats. Provide fresh, clean water at all times. Wash and refill water bowls daily.
Signs of Over Feeding
You can check if you are over feeding the cat. It involves a very simple check. Just feel the ribs with the finger. Waist should be narrow after rib cage. If it is not, your cat is overweight. Overweight cats can gain weight fast and the obesity develops.
Causes of Obesity in cats
- Free choice feeding: In most of the cases the cats are fed a bowl full food. The owner assumes that the cat will eat optimum it wants. But the fact is that cat can not control their food intake.
- Unhygienic Food: Feeding the cat frequently with unhygienic food
- High Calorie food and lack of exercise: A cat is given non-veg. food and the exercise is less. The unconsumed calories lead to obesity.
- Thyroid disorder: Thyroid disorder may lead to obesity in dogs.
- Lack of exercise: In case of indoor cats, the problem of lack of exercise is prominent.
Health Risks Due to Obesity
|General Cat Care #3: Grooming|
|Most cats stay relatively clean and rarely need a bath, but they do need to be brushed or combed. Frequent brushing helps keep your cat’s coat clean, reduces the amount of shedding and cuts down on the incidence of hairballs|
|General Cat Care #4: Handling|
|To pick up your cat, place one hand behind the front legs and another under the hindquarters. Lift gently. Never pick up a cat by the scruff of the neck (behind the ears) or by the front legs without supporting the rear end.|
|General Cat Care #5: Housing|
|Cats should have a clean, dry place of their own in the house. Line your cat’s bed with a soft, warm blanket or towel. Be sure to wash the bedding often. Please keep your cat indoors. If your companion animal is allowed outside, he can contract diseases, get ticks or parasites, become lost or get hit by a car, hurt in a fight or poisoned. Also, cats prey on wildlife.|
- Cardiovascular diseases
- Hepatic Lipidosis
- Liver and kidney diseases
- Lowered immune system
Tips for weight reduction in cats
- Consult a vet and revise the diet plan of a cat
- Note down the weight and monitor throughout
- Ensure that the calories are consumed through proper exercise.
Diet Plan of a cat
- Feed the cat for 2 to 4 times, small meals at a time. Quantity of food varies depending upon weight. The proportions are written on the food packets and the best you can do is consult a vet.
- Restrict the carbohydrates from the diet: Dry food consists of carbohydrates which are 5 times of their natural diet. Feed the cat with low carbohydrate diet, which is available as canned food. As the food consist high protein and moisture; that is similar to its natural diet, the cat will eat it. You can consult the vet and standardize cats diet and set its meal timings.
- Do not give the table scraps or food items between meals.
- The important thing you should follow is, do not change the diet all of a sudden. Mix small amount of low carbohydrate diet in its regular diet. Reduce the regular diet slowly and increase the revised diet. So that digestion is not upset.
How you can help your cat to get rid of obesity?
- Take your dog for walk
- Play with it daily so that calories will burn
- Cats like to play with toys. So bring some and allow it to play daily for sometime.
Do not expect that your cat will shed weight overnight. Consistency in diet and exercise will help to shed weight.
|General Cat Care #6: Identification|
|If allowed outdoors (again, we caution against it!), your cat needs to wear a safety collar and an ID tag. A safety collar with an elastic panel will allow your cat to break loose if the collar gets caught on something. An ID tag or an implanted microchip can help insure that your cat is returned if he or she becomes lost.|
|General Cat Care #7: Litter Box|
|All indoor cats need a litter box, which should be placed in a quiet, accessible location. A bathroom or utility room is a good place for your cat’s box. In a multi-level home, one box per floor is recommended. Avoid moving the box unless absolutely necessary. Then do so slowly, a few inches a day. Cats won’t use a messy, SMELLY litter box. Scoop solids out of the box at least once a day. Dump everything, wash with a mild detergent (don’t use ammonia) and refill at least once a week, less frequently if using clumping litter. Don’t use deodorants or scents in the litter or litter box (especially avoid lemon scent).|