More Cat Care Information:
One of the things that most kids and even some adults love these days is having their very own pet cat. Cats are equally amazing pets when compared to dogs and they are also very lovable. To those who are looking forward to owning some cats, here are some of the things that they would like to do when taking care of their pet cats:
|General Cat Care #1: Before You Bring Your Cat Home|
|You will need food, food dish, water bowl, interactive toys, brush, comb, safety cat collar, scratching post, litter and litter box.|
|General Cat Care #2: Feeding|
|An adult cat should be fed one large or two smaller meals each day. Kittens from 6 to 12 weeks need to be fed four times a day. Kittens from three to six months need to be fed three times a day. You can either feed specific meals, throwing away any leftover canned food after 30 minutes or free-feed dry food (keeping food out all the time).|
Feed your cat a high-quality, brand-name kitten or cat food (avoid generic brands) two to three times a day. Kittens can be fed human baby food for a short time if they won’t eat kitten food softened by soaking in warm water. Use turkey or chicken baby food made for children six months and older. Gradually mix with cat food. Cow’s milk is not necessary and can cause diarrhea in kittens and cats. Provide fresh, clean water at all times. Wash and refill water bowls daily.
|General Cat Care #3: Grooming|
|Most cats stay relatively clean and rarely need a bath, but they do need to be brushed or combed. Frequent brushing helps keep your cat’s coat clean, reduces the amount of shedding and cuts down on the incidence of hairballs|
|General Cat Care #4: Handling|
|To pick up your cat, place one hand behind the front legs and another under the hindquarters. Lift gently. Never pick up a cat by the scruff of the neck (behind the ears) or by the front legs without supporting the rear end.|
|General Cat Care #5: Housing|
|Cats should have a clean, dry place of their own in the house. Line your cat’s bed with a soft, warm blanket or towel. Be sure to wash the bedding often. Please keep your cat indoors. If your companion animal is allowed outside, he can contract diseases, get ticks or parasites, become lost or get hit by a car, hurt in a fight or poisoned. Also, cats prey on wildlife.|
- As pet owners, one the most important things that you need to do is to ensure the safety of your cats. Pet owners might like keeping their cats inside their homes to ensure that they are safe at all times. If you let your cats stay outside, they might end up going somewhere and might not be able to go back home so keep them inside your house as much as possible.
- To those who are planning on keeping their cats outdoors, be sure to have a sturdy fence or have a cage to keep your cats in case you would be leaving home. Fences are very helpful because it keeps your cats from going astray and it also helps make sure that your house is safe even if you are not at home.
- It is also important to bring your cats to their Vets for check-ups. Going to the Vets regularly would ensure the health of your pet and it could prevent them from getting sick. The Vets would also be able to know if your cats need something for their health.
- Pet owners should also make sure that they only feed their cats with healthy cat food. To those who are first time owners, what they can do is check out their vet and ask for some healthy food tips.
- Another thing that pet owners need to do is to make sure that they potty train their cats. Doing this would ensure pet owners not to have a hard time cleaning up the mess of their cats. What pet owners need to do is to find some litter boxes in pet shops. The litter boxes is the best way to help potty train your cats so be sure to get one to make sure that your cats would not leave any mess in your house.
- Be sure to groom your cat everyday. This would keep your cats clean and good smelling all the time. Follow your Vets advice regarding the hygiene of your cats to make sure that they would be able to enjoy playing with their pets.
These are few of the tips that pet cat owners need to bear in mind in case they are thinking of getting their own cats. Check out the tips to take care of your cats properly.
|General Cat Care #6: Identification|
|If allowed outdoors (again, we caution against it!), your cat needs to wear a safety collar and an ID tag. A safety collar with an elastic panel will allow your cat to break loose if the collar gets caught on something. An ID tag or an implanted microchip can help insure that your cat is returned if he or she becomes lost.|
|General Cat Care #7: Litter Box|
|All indoor cats need a litter box, which should be placed in a quiet, accessible location. A bathroom or utility room is a good place for your cat’s box. In a multi-level home, one box per floor is recommended. Avoid moving the box unless absolutely necessary. Then do so slowly, a few inches a day. Cats won’t use a messy, SMELLY litter box. Scoop solids out of the box at least once a day. Dump everything, wash with a mild detergent (don’t use ammonia) and refill at least once a week, less frequently if using clumping litter. Don’t use deodorants or scents in the litter or litter box (especially avoid lemon scent).|